Everton 0 Manchester City 1: Late Foden goal seals victory for the Blues

By Ethan Aspinall, Mon 28 February 2022 18:37

Everton 0 Manchester City 1: Late Foden goal seals victory for the BluesCity emerge victorious in a tense encounter on Merseyside to increase lead at top of the table

FA Premier League
Saturday 26 February 2022, 17.30 KO

City: Ederson, Stones, Cancelo, Dias, Laporte, Rodri, Gundogan (Mahrez 77), De Bruyne, Silva, Fodem, Sterling (Jesus 77)
Unused: Walker, Ake, Grealish, Znichenko, Fernandinho, Carson, Slicker
Goals: Foden (82)
Booked: Ederson, Foden

Referee: Paul Tierney

Man of the match: Foden

Everton welcomed City to Goodison Park on Saturday evening on Premier League matchday 27. Pep Guardiola's side were hoping to pick up 3 points in a convincing fashion following their dramatic defeat to Tottenham Hotspur the weekend before. 

The game kicked off with chances at both ends as the Blues attempted to get into their familiar attacking style, but Everton held firm in defence and suppressed City’s chances. The home side began to create chances themselves and continued to frustrate City on the attack.

Everton left back Jonjo Kenny arguably had the best chance of the first half but hit the side netting, much to the relief of the City dugout. The visitors continued to try and attack but struggled to create any chances of real note, and the two sides went in goalless at half-time.

City started the second-half on the front foot in an attempt to find the crucial goal that they needed and eventually their will to find the back of the net would pay off. A deflection in the Everton defence and then a failed clearance from centre-back Michael Keane saw the ball land at the feeet of Phil Foden, who placed the ball beyond Pickford giving City their long awaited lead. Everton refused to give up though and kept on pushing forward in search of a late equaliser.

In the 87th minute a ball was threaded through to Richarlison who saw his shot well saved by his international team-mate Ederson. The ball then fell to Rodri who misjudged the bounce, appearing to control it with his arm. The Everton players screamed for a penalty but referee Paul Tierney waved play on. A VAR check followed, and after two minutes of careful scrutiny the video official contentiously decided to not give a penalty, much to Rodri’s and Manchester City’s relief and the fury of Everton, who were convinced it should have been a definite spot kick.

Play continued and there were five additional minutes of stoppage time but City held on and emerged victorious with what could be a huge win in the title race.