Manchester City U21's 1 West Ham United U21's 1-Match Report

By Gavin Cooper/Andrew Waldon, Sun 31 August 2014 18:46

Manchester City U21's 1 West Ham United U21's 1-Match ReportLate Ntcham strike earns EDS a draw


Gunn, Bossaerts, Tasende, Maffeo, Bryan (Ntcham 59), Glendon, Bytyqi (Barker 32), Fofana, Hiwula (Ambrose 73), Byrne, Pozo

Subs: Lawlor (GK), Horsfield, 

A goal from Substitute Olivier Ntcham in the dying minutes spared City defeat in their inaugural ‘Home’ (and probably only game) in the AJ Bell Stadium against visitors West Ham United, all though things could have been different if the referee and his assistant had been more vigilant and spotted a blatant foul on Thierry Ambrose , deep into injury time.

In all honesty though City did not do enough to deserve more than a draw as West Ham were the better side, With Elliott Lee a constant thorn in the City defence and spurning three or four real goal scoring opportunities., twice being denied by the legs of Angus Gunn.

It was a poor first half from City and it took until the 43rd minute before they had their first real shot on goal when substitute Brandon Barker on for the ineffective Sinan Bytyqi, cut inside from the left, but with not enough power on his finish he shot straight at the keeper and like buses, minutes later, City had their second shot on goal from long range by Jordy Hiwula, who for large parts of the game was isolated on his own up front, with no real service being provided to him.

Seko Fofana was running the midfield and looked like City’s best outlet for any scoring opportunities but again like Jordy could have perhaps done with a bit more help from his compatriots.

On 25 minutes West Ham however were the first to score when a ball from a left wing cross deflected into the path of Kieran Sadlier and he had the simple task of finishing past Angus Gunn

There was a lengthy delay to the beginning of the second half as West Ham’s full back, Sam Westley, appeared to turn his ankle in the turf and was eventually stretchered off

City’s best chances were still falling the way of Fofana and with a bit more composure he could have brought his team back into the game, it however was his fellow French colleague Olivier Ntcham who levelled things a minute before the end of normal time, when he dispatched a cross from the left by Barker,this coming minutes after Jose Angel Tasende had clipped the bar.

The seven minutes added on for the injury to Westley spurred City on and Raphael Spiegel did well to keep out Tasende’s free kick after Fofana had been fouled on the edge of the box.


Then came the talking point of the game when Thierry Ambrose was hauled down when jumping for a set piece ball and City were denied a definite penalty, but a winning goal would have been a probable injustice on the score line.

Posted in EDS Match Reports by Gavin Cooper/Andrew Waldon.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information