EDS down to ten men are sunk by last minute injury time goal
Gunn, Maffeo, Tasende, Bossaerts, Facey, Glendon, Bytyqi, Fofana, Ambrose(Hiwula), Ntcham (Horsfield), Cole
Subs: Lawlor (GK), Byrne, Pozo
Goal Scorer: Maffeo
It was a much changed City EDS side that opened their under 21 campaign against a Chelsea side that beat them on penalty’s in last season’s semi- final play offs.
Several of that side have now taken the next step in their career and found playing time out on loan at a various clubs, whether it be abroad or in the United Kingdom, therefore allowing many members of last season’s promising under 18 squad to move up a level.
All tweets are taken from the official MCFC twitter account
GOAL!!! Pablo Maffeo gives City a second minute lead - his first goal for the EDS! Fires in after a corner wasn't cleared. 1-0.
7. Really good goalkeeping from Angus Gunn to deny Loftus-Cheek - the City keeper races out to smother at the Chelsea forward's feet.
12. Yellow card for Chelsea's Kane - he is late to the tackle after Mathias Bossaerts broke past him. Bytyqi stands over the free-kick.
13. WOODWORK! Great hit from Bytyqi - he strikes the free-kick against the angle of post and crossbar. Unlucky! Still Chelsea 0-1 City EDS.
17. First City yellow card and it's Olivier Ntcham who gets it for a tug on Boga's shorts. Vieira's men have started really brightly.
19. Close! Devante Cole thinks he's doubled City's tally but Mitchell Beeney makes a brilliant fingertip save to turn his shot away.
34. Another great save by Gunn - he's quick off his line again to block Musonda's goal bound strike after Chelsea broke City's lines.
41. What a block by Maffeo! Kiwomya looked in but the Spaniard flung himself in to deflect the Chelsea forward's strike out for a corner.
43. Inches! Cole leads a counter-attack for City - he breezes away from the Chelsea full-back but his shot is just wide of the far post.
HALF TIME: Chelsea 0 Manchester City 1
48. Sidenetting! Bytyqi is on the end of an inventive corner routine - he tries to beat Beeney on his near post but it's the wrong side.
52. It's a third excellent one-on-one save by Angus Gunn! This time, he saves with his feet when the Chelsea striker looked odds-on.
60. First City change and it's last season's Academy Player of the Year Ambrose who is being replaced by last year's EDS top-scorer, Hiwula.
64. Second City change - Olivier Ntcham was on a booking... James Horsfield has taken his place. 25 minutes to go here.
75. Off the line! City's Cole goes around Beeney, takes a touch and aims for the bottom corner but Christensen is there to head away.
77. Goal Chelsea. So cruel on Pablo Maffeo - he deflects a Kiwomya cross into his own net. Chelsea 1-1 City EDS.
81. Shay Facey has been sent off for City - a second bookable offence for the England youth international after he took out Solanki.
87. City holding on here since going down to ten men - showing great heart and resilience to hold off the reigning champions.
90. Three minutes of additional time here - can ten-man City EDS hold on for a really impressive point on the opening night of the season?
90+2. Goal Chelsea. They can't... Musonda scores in the final minute of injury time to surely deny City a point. 2-1 Chelsea.
FULLTIME: Chelsea 2 Manchester City 1
Posted in EDS Match Reports by Gavin Cooper/Andrew Waldon.