Arsenal u21s 4 Manchester City u21s 3 - match report

By Gavin Cooper/Andrew Waldon, Mon 07 April 2014 11:05

Arsenal u21s 4 Manchester City u21s 3 - match reportEDS gunned down

Barclays Premier Reserve League
Monday 7th April 2014

City: Lawlor, Drury, Tasende (Leigh)Facey, Denayer , Glendon(Cole), Lopes,Fofana, Hiwula, Ntcham, Bytyqi
Goals: Drury, Cole, og
Unused: O'Brien (GK), Bossaerts, Plummer, 

The home of Boreham Wood FC was the scene for City’s latest game pursuit in the race for the Premier Under 21 League title and a surprise defeat has put the cat amongst the pigeons , especially has Liverpool increased their lead at the top with a win at Chelsea.

Both sides started off brightly but it was the Arsenal keeper Matt Macey, who was the busier of the two keepers and he produced two good stops to deny City an opening goal. The former Bristol Rovers academy keeper had to parry away a twenty five yard shot from Seko Fofana whilst also doing well to keep out George Glendon’s free kick on 18 minutes.

However it was the home side who took the lead on 34 minutes when Jon Toral tapped the ball home after it ricocheted into his path from four yards out, following a tackle on Thomas Eisfeld and then full back Hector Bellerin doubled the advantage for the Gunners three minutes later slotting the ball under Ian Lawlor, so that was two former Barcelona players scoring against City in a short space of time.

With City now having an uphill battle to force their way back into the game they got off to a perfect start for the second half when, Adam Drury drove the ball past Macey from the edge of the box to reduce the deficit, and the momentum continued Macey produced what is widely being described as the save of the season when a Marcos Lopes cross fell into the path of substitute Devante Cole but the keeper made an outstanding block from point blank range.

City continued to pile on the pressure, but Arsenal defended well as the game was turning into an exciting contest in very wet conditions as both sides’ squandered chances. It was however the home side that increased their lead on 73 minutes when Stefan O’Connor beat the offside trap as City pushed out and he had the simple task of slotting home from close range

Into the closing stages at Meadow Park, Lopes went twice and Macey had to save from Ntcham, Cole threw City a lifeline a minute from full time converting Bytyqi’s low cross, but the dying minutes produced some what of a thriller, Toral got his second of the game to make it 4-2 and then an Arsenal defender glanced home a City corner to make it 4-3, but that completed the scoring and City were edged out in a thriller

City will now have to re-group after this disappointing result as they play the first leg of the Premier League Cup final at the Etihad on Thursday against Reading

NB. The referee for tonight’s game, John Brooks was the official that told Joe Hart to thank City fans for paying £62 to go to the Emirates 

Posted in EDS Match Reports by Gavin Cooper/Andrew Waldon.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information