Great fightback ensures progress to semi's
Newcastle United v Manchester City
Premier League Cup-Quarter Final
City: Lawlor, Drury, Leigh, Facey, Denayer, Glendon, Bytyqi, Fofana, Hiwula (Ambrose), Lopes, Cole
Unused: O’Brien (Gk), Plummer, Ntcham, Byrne
Goals: Hiwula, Bytyqi, Lopes
Following previous round victories over Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion City were drawn against Newcastle United in the quarter final stages of the inaugural Premier League under 21 cup competition, ironically Newcastle had already been knocked out of the competition following defeat at Birmingham City, but were re-instated as the Midlands side had fielded an ineligible player.
The fixture was played behind closed doors at Newcastle’s Training ground, so we are not sure how this fits in with the ethos of giving players the opportunity to play in a ‘professional environment’ in fact 20 odd under 21 matches at this level in their league have been postponed or moved to training grounds since early December.
As regular followers, it is always disappointing when you are not allowed to view the game, despite us asking our request was declined, so this report comes in the format of a collection of tweets:
7. Seko Fofana has a shot from range but it's straight into the goalkeeper's gloves. City bossing possession in these early stages.
11. So close to a City opener! Hiwula slides onto an Adam Drury pull-back but he misses the target by inches at full stretch. Still 0-0.
14. Lopes’ turn to go close to a goal - this time his shot is palmed away by the Newcastle keeper. Vieira's men have made a strong start.
Goal Newcastle. The Magpies have taken the lead against the run of play after a dinked finish from the Newcastle captain. 1-0.
18 mins: GOAL (1-0) United take the lead as Michael Richardson latches on to a weak header and lobs the Man City keeper
19. Lopes is inches away from an equaliser - his left-footed drive catches a deflection and whistles past the post with the keeper beaten
35. Hiwula again goes close with a stabbed volley from ten yards out but Lubo Satka is there to get a touch which takes it agonizingly wide.
30., City still with the lion's share of the ball, but only a Denayer shot flashed over to show for their last ten minutes. Still one down.
41. It's been a frustrating half in front of goal for City so far - now, Drury and Hiwula have had chances saved from close range.
HALF-TIME: @NUFCOfficial 1-0 City EDS. Richardson's goal in the 16th min is the difference at the break in a game the Blues have dominated
46. Goal Newcastle. Richardson turns in Rolando Aaron's cross from the left on the volley. Now 2-0 to the hosts
GOAL CITY!!! What a strike this is from Bytyqi - the Austrian cuts in and bends the ball around Alnwick from 25 yards out. Top bin! 2-1.
49.GOAL CITY!!!!! Cole picks out Hiwula in the middle and the City no.9 slides home the equaliser. 2-2!
62. Great save by Ian Lawlor to keep the scores level, spreading himself well one-on-one to deny Adam Armstrong. Still 2-2.
61 mins: GOAL (2-3). Man City have turned the game on its head as captain Marcos Lopes finds the top corner from range
70. Side netting! Lopes gets two bites of the cherry - the keeper saves his first volley but the second is just wide
So that great comeback and win continues the sides long undefeated run and sends the side into the semi-finals where they will face the winners of the Exeter/Burnley tie in what will be a home fixture, with the other semi being between Arsenal v Reading.
Posted in EDS Match Reports by Gavin Cooper/Andrew Waldon.