Media round-up 19/01/2012 featuring de Jong, Tevez, the Toures and Nedum Onuoha
By Ric Turner, Thu 19 January 2012 09:42
Nigel de Jong's future at City is looking increasingly uncertain with the club open to offers for the midfielder at the end of the season. de Jong has found himself on the periphery on the team this season after failing to sign a new contract last year, and has slipped down the midfield pecking order at Eastlands. Should contract talks reopen de Jong will almost certainly be offered reduced terms.
Carlos Tevez's advisor will hold talks with French club Paris Saint-Germain on Thursday over a possible transfer. Kia Joorabchian will begin negotiations with PSG's sporting director Leonardo, although any agreement between the clubs has yet to be reached. Earlier in the week Inter Milan tabled a £20.7m bid for the Manchester City striker, 27, which was turned down.
Kolo Toure has told City fans that he and brother Yaya had no choice but to abandon City for a month at the Africa Cup of Nations Cup. “When you leave your club it’s always very difficult but we need to play for our country and try to do as well as we can,” said Toure. “It’s tough, but we are in a situation where the countries always win, and for us it’s difficult.”
Nedum Onuoha is another QPR target with the club preparing to offer the Manchester City defender, 25, more than £80,000 a week according to The Times. Clearly Mark Hughes hasn't learnt his lessson after the Wayne Bridge debacle.
Meanwhile The Daily Telegraph report that City have warned their players not to become embroiled in a Twitter feud with their Manchester United rivals amid growing anger at the Etihad Stadium over City-related tweets by the likes of Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand.